2019 is the 40th Anniversary of IRTA!
Preeminent author, money/banking and barter systems scholar, Thomas H. Greco, Jr. recently recognized IRTA’s enduring value when he observed: “IRTA has been an able representative of the interests of the trade exchange industry and alternative exchange in general. It is a trade association that enables cooperation alongside competition, helping to establish standards of practice, self-policing and good relations with government, especially the tax authorities.” (August 16, 2018, A Conversation with Chip Davis & Charlie Davis, Commercial Trade Exchange Architecture & Operations).
For 40 years IRTA has pro-actively advocated for the global barter industry in its ongoing effort to educate, enhance and protect the industry. IRTA’s impressive track record of accomplishments includes legislative victories,
beneficial IRS collaborations, favorable State Bar Association opinions and endless advisory memos on the most topical issues of the day. Click HERE for a complete list of IRTA’s 40 years of accomplishments for the barter industry.
2018 was another good year for IRTA – per the following achievements:
- Issued a Barter-Related Cryptocurrency Warning to the industry on April 4th, 2018. click here
- Released joint IRTA & NATE Advisory Memos for Buyers and Sellers of trade exchanges on May 15th, 2018. This unprecedented collaboration between IRTA and NATE was driven by IRTA. click here
- Held yet another successful IRTA convention at the 4.5-star Bally’s Vegas Hotel & Casino from September 6th – 8th, 2018 – with a true national hero as the keynote speaker – Lt. General Russel L. Honore’.
- Assisted both IRTA-member and non-IRTA member exchanges to obtain full abatements on $70,000+ of 2018 proposed cash civil penalties related to IRS non-matching TIN matters, (IRTA has obtained over one million dollars of IRS abatements for trade exchanges over the last eleven years).
- Helped IRTA-member and non-IRTA member exchanges to retain their merchant services providers. IRTA educated merchant service providers on the fact that trade dollars are not cryptocurrencies and trade exchanges are not money transmitters.
IRTA thanks all our members for their tremendous support. Their commitment is the reason why IRTA is such a relevant and meaningful organization!
IRTA will continue to work hard to improve the barter industry in 2019 and beyond.
We look forward to you attending our big 40th Anniversary Convention this year! An announcement regarding the 2019 convention will be released soon.
Have a healthy and prosperous New Year!